Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I filed a VPO against my boyfriend a few months ago based on

Customer Question

I filed a VPO against my boyfriend a few months ago based on some very bag advice and not realizing the significance of a VPO. I did not bold face lie but embellished many things and the way it reads is not true. he is not a violent or dangerous guy. I
am well aware of how wrong what I did was. I had told him about it and we had already dealt with the situation before he was even served for removal at our house. he left when asked then just came back. I called the VPO department and asked how to correct
this situation and they said to just not show up to court and it would be dismissed so that's what I did. however; even though it was dismissed it still shows it was filed on his record. I am trying to save up the money to pay an attorney to expunge it but
haven't been able to yet. it is now being brought up in court because we are trying to get custody of his daughter (we have always had her 50% of the time). the mother knew about the VPO and her response via text when he told her I just overreacted was not
concerned at all .... she said LOL. but her attorney is making me take the stand. I will be honest that it was not true and that I am trying to have it expunged but he has stated that he is going to have felony perjury charges put on me. can he do that? I
made a mistake and am having it expunged but if I get a felony then I will loose my job!!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. Please remember I can only answer what you ask. So if you have more questions or need clarification, please let me know here.

Yes, unfortunately, if you lie on such an Affidavit, it is perjury as well if you were not to tell the truth on the stand it would be perjury.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fully intend to tell the truth on the stand and am willing to suffer any consequences of my actions . what is the penalty for embellishing the issue in a VPO? also, in your opinion, would my attemp to admit my wrongdoing and begin the process of expungement be considered in the sentence for the charge? is there anything else you could recommend I do to try and correct my horrible action?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

If you do not lie on the stand, I suggest that if embellished on the Affidavit for the VPO due to being angered, upset and you just let your emotions get in the way of the facts, perjury would be hard to prove. And so, I suggest, that is what you might consider if you are asked about the affidavit statement.