Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer
Experience:  I have 25 years experience as a Washington State Family Law Attorney.
34978818

Is there a legal way to grant an exception to a

Customer Question

Is there a legal way to grant an exception to a protective/restraining order under special circumstances? My wife has a restraining order against her first husband that she doesn't want to have removed. However, our son (her son from her first marriage) is getting married and we want to honor his request allowing his father to attend. How can we do this without lifting the order?
Also: the order was put in place in another state (Utah), not in Georgia. The wedding will be in Atlanta.
Thank you for any assistance!
David Buchanan
U.S. Army
Hawaii
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 1 year ago.

Assuming this is a civil order ex wife obtained as opposed to a criminal order obtained by the prosecuting attorney, then your wife could get the order modified for the wedding day. In other words, she would need to have an additional order entered in Utah ( by agreement with the ex) that says it is not a violation of the old order for ex husband to have contact with ex wife ( be within 500 feet or whatever limitation is on the original order) on such and such day while participating in the wedding celebration of the son.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** contact the State of Utah and find out if my wife needs to be present or if she needs to schedule a hearing. Hopefully she can do this all without having to leave Hawaii and without having to hire an attorney.

I would think a personal appearance in Utah court would not be necessary, but she will need to submit a detailed supporting affidavit or declaration under oath laying out the situation - convince the judge that her request is reasonable.

Don't forget to rate my service or send me a followup question if you need more input from me.