Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am currently trying to get my DC ID updated. Will I still

Customer Question

I am currently trying to get my DC ID updated. Will I still be able to obtain it if my marriage was considered "common law" at the time (l978-l982)? Because I changed my last name to my "common law" married name.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, you are going to need to present a birth certificate or in case of marriage a marriage license together with a birth certificate to keep using your married name on your license/ID. HOWEVER, you can fix that quickly by filing a Petition for Name Change in the local court and within 30 days or less, depending on how busy the court is when you file, the court will issue a legal name change order to make your common law name your name. With that name change order you can get a license or ID.