Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I want to relocate from Greensboro to Asheville. I do not

Customer Question

I want to relocate from Greensboro to Asheville. I do not have a custody agreement in place. My ex and i co-parent and he sees his 5 yr old daughter daily. Do I need his permission to relocate? I am remarried and we want to move to Asheville to retire and be closer to alternative doctors.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If there is no custody order in place, then technically there is no permission necessary before relocating. However, note that the other parent can file to arrange for a formal custody order via the Court if they want to at any time.

Relocation permission and/or notice from the court or the other parent is only required typically if there are already custody orders in place.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.