Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband and I need to divorce. In our state, a one year

Customer Question

My husband and I need to divorce. In our state, a one year seperation is required for an uncontested divorce. What paperwork is required to make the seperation official including start date. What are the provisions of this seperation. We have a big house, can we each take a seperate wing?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me what state this is in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maryland
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

What paperwork is required to make the seperation official including start date.

There is no specific paperwork to file. Both parties will have to claim (at time of filing) that they have not been living as husband and wife for one year.

What are the provisions of this seperation. We have a big house, can we each take a seperate wing?

No, I am afraid not. . To get a divorce like this, the parties have to be separated and not living together under the same roof. This has to go on without interruption of them spending the night together and without cohabitation for a whole year for one year.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.