FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Is there a grace period support in California mine is due on

Customer Question

Is there a grace period for spousal support in California mine is due on the first and I always pay the first Wednesday of the month am I okay to do this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Does the court order address this? Has your ex said something about paying on the first Wednesday of the month instead of on the 1st?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the court does not address this but the paperwork says it is due on the first. Up until now she said the first Wednesday of the month was fine now she wants it on the first

Thank you. The court order will control, so if it says the 1st of the month, that is why it needs to be paid. Now, if she previously agreed to allow you to pay it on the first Wednesday, there would be no issue but if she no longer wants to accept it then, it needs to be paid. That leaves you with two options. The first, is just pay her on the first Wednesday and explain to her why that needs to be done. If she is getting her money, she should understand. The second option would be to file a motion with the court, asking that it be paid the first Wednesday of the month, to avoid any problems. The issue that may come in is if she suffers some harm by the delayed payments and then tries to blame you, such a late fees from bills or rent that needs to be paid.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!