Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I was married in Medellin Colombia in October of 2014. We

Customer Question

I was married in Medellin Colombia in October of 2014. We have never lived together. We have filed for a visa but it is still in process. At this point in time the marriage has become unlivable from the point of abusive talk via whatsapp and when we do get together she has been physically abusive to me. I cannot stand the jealousy and the constant threats. I am interested in getting a divorce. There are no children and I have already sent over $50,000 in cash to her over the past year. I want to divorce her and move on with my life. I am also not willing to give her any additional money. Divorce me and move on.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can seek to file a divorce in the US if you are a resident of the US. If you can prove she entered into the marriage for the purposes of trying to get a visa to the US, you could even seek to file an annulment instead of divorce, which would be where the court would invalidate the marriage as though it never occurred.

However, if this is the situation now, you need to file your divorce and be done with it. Because it is such a short marriage, no spousal support would do either.