FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My ex wife and I were divorced in fl sept 2014. we both

Customer Question

my ex wife and I were divorced in fl sept 2014. we both agreed that we would I would keep my retirement and she would keep hers. in the final decree it states this. it states that any claim or intrest therein that could be assertedby the other party is here by releasedand terminated my question is can she take me back to court and get some of my retirement?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, it would not appear that she could. The reason why I say this is because there is 1) an agreement in the decree which advises that you will each keep your own and 2) there was additional information and language which you shared, contained within, that essentially says that anything or any right, which a party MAY have been able to assert, was released and terminated and thus, can not come back now and try and get it. of course, if it is determined that information was withheld, that would be a different story but if everything was disclosed and known, then she could not.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!