FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Women was abandoned by her husband 12 years ago. s family

Customer Question

Women was abandoned by her husband 12 years ago. His family claim they do not know his where abouts. Wife wants to move on as she has found a new man in her life. She has filed a petition for divorce but aside from that she does not know what to do.
Q: What procedural steps must she take in order to finalize her divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. She is going to need to try and serve him. Since she does not know where he is, she may have to publish on him. However, prior to that happening, a good faith effort needs to be made to find him and she should either use a process server or if the clerk allows, the Sheriff, to try and locate him. If they can not do so, then she could publish on him, as notice. Once that time passes, then she could proceed with the divorce and likely have it ordered.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!