Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

You helped me once before and of all the attorneys here I've

Customer Question

You helped me once before and of all the attorneys here I've found your help to be the best so far. I see you're online now, so hoping you're available to help me again :-) How is child support calculated in MN? Ok, no, that's not really the
question. The question is how do I find out how a child support decision was made, if possible? My wife (Anna), is mother to a four year old son (Joel) with another man (Andrew). She is a financially struggling student in a lot of debt. I don't make very much,
and I do what I can to support them both, but as I understand it my income doesn't factor in anyway. Is that right? Andrew is also a student. They both have pretty low incomes. Anna is trying her best to work, alongside her studies to raise Joel. She filed
for child support and the order has just been issued. The amount ordered for Andrew to pay is barely enough to pay half Joel's school/daycare fees, let alone any of his other costs (medical, food, housing, etc), which are significant. I've seen the child support
calculator (http://childsupportcalculator.dhs.state.mn.us) and entered all their numbers in as best as I can understand them, and the amount it comes up with for me is significantly higher than what the order ordered, even based on their actual incomes, but
aside from that, it's my understanding that if their incomes aren't as much as their potential incomes should or could be then it's potential income that matters anyway isn't it? I realize this question is a little vague so far, and I'm not putting any actual
numbers in here yet, because I don't want to divulge too much information in case the other party ever sees this and perhaps figures out who we are (I've changed all our names too for the same reason). But the question is: I just don't understand how the amount
of child support he's been ordered to pay her could possibly be as low as it is under any conditions. I'm hoping someone here can help me understand what factors are involved that I might be missing. Also is there anyway to appeal/contest/challenge the decision?
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies, i'm still working this site out. The "Hi Dimitry" was because I originally meant for this question to go to a particular expert on here (who's name, funnily enough, is Dimitry). But the part where I if I don't get an answer from him in a certain time then makes this question available to all experts, kind of makes that part of the question irrelevant. If there's some admin person who can edit that for me, please take that part out and start the question with "How is child support calculated...". If not, then whoever else is reading this please ignore that bit in your head :-)