Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

What is the statute of limitations on having to pay alimony?

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is no statute of limitations. Once alimony has been ordered, that order remains in effect until the payments have been made. A spouse could go back at any time to try to collect missed payments. This is because the spouse who is supposed to be paying is in contempt of court if he doesn't, and contempt is ongoing for every day the amount is not paid.

If you're asking how long someone has to pay, that's up to the judge. The general duration is about half the length of the marriage, but judges have discretion for long-term marriages to order alimony to be paid indefinitely. It will end if either spouse dies, or if the spouse receiving payments remarries or begins to cohabitate with a new partner.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.