Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

My wife's ex husband is court ordered to keep insurance on

Customer Question

My wife's ex husband is court ordered to keep insurance on their two kids. He texted her this morning and said today is the last day the insurance will be good. This makes four times in two years that he has dropped insurance on the kids. Since he is court ordered to keep it. Shouldn't there be some kind of punishment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

What is the reason that he keeps dropping the insurance?

.

Is he changing jobs often, or is he just not paying the bills to keep it in effect?

.

Has your wife filed any motions with the court regarding him violating the order?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is constantly switching jobs. She has told her lawyer, and he tells her to keep the dates in a journal
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if he is losing insurance and then reinstating it when he gets new employment, then if he is voluntarily quitting his jobs and moving around, then that could be grounds to file a motion for contempt of court for failing to comply by the judge's orders. The judge could take punitive action such as a verbal chastisement up to 6 month's jail time..

.

But it is more likely that he would give ex a verbal warning to keep the insurance in place and threaten him with contempt next time as well as order him to pay any out of pocket costs incurred by your wife for the children's medical care..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was layed off work this time. The first three times he voluntarily quit. He has only kept insurance on them about 9 months in last 2 years. It's just aggrivating because he told my wife he was going to be this way when she divorced him.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if he was involuntarily terminated, then unless it was for misconduct, that tends to mitigate this termination. But this wouldn't excuse the previous quits. So even though a judge might not ding him for this one, it would be a good idea to get this in front of the judge to get these violations on the record. That way, once the judge admonishes him for his actions, he is much less likely to give him a break if this happens again.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it very much. I've learned more from you in a half hour than I have from my wifes lawyer in a year
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. And for what it is worth, the legal experts here specialize in cutting through the BS that most attorneys shovel because we aren't being compensated by the hour...

.

.

thanks much