Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

Live in Wisconsin. 16 1/2 year old daughter with 50/50

Customer Question

Live in Wisconsin. 16 1/2 year old daughter with 50/50 placement. Father told daughter she is no longer welcome at their home. 1. What is the Mothers responsibility moving forward? What is the Daughters responsibility moving forward?
Father may need a cooling down period but Mother and Daughter are concerned about legal ramifications of not abiding by the divorce decree. ( Background-At Fathers choice,Father had no placement or visitation of the child until the daughter was approximately 10 years of age.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the father has decided to give up any visitation/custodial rights under the custody agreement, then if this is a permanent decision, the mother could file a petition with the court to modify the custody agreement and ask for child support to be increased to reflect that she is now the sole custodial parent.

.

The custodial order grants the father the right to have joint custody, but these are rights, not obligations and he can't be forced to exercise his rights to custody. But if he chooses not to exercise them, then he would be obligated to pay more in child support (if he is paying anything now) so as to ensure that the mother has adequate support to care for the child.

.

.

thanks