FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

What to do to get emancipated at 17 in the sate of TN

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Tennessee law has rules about how a minor may ask a court for emancipation. STEP 1: If the minor has a lawyer, the lawyer will write an application for emancipation. If the minor does not have a lawyer, the minor (or the minor’s parent or guardian) may write the application. The application must tell: • the minor’s age • the names of the minor’s parents (or, if the minor has no parents, the names of two of the minor’s closest relatives) • the addresses of the minor’s parents (or relatives) • why the minor should be emancipated. STEP 2: Give the application to the Chancery or Circuit Court Clerk in the county where the minor lives. The court will charge a fee for this. STEP 3: The Court Clerk must send a copy of the application to the minor’s parents, other relatives named in the application, or the minor’s guardian (unless they also signed the application). STEP 4: The Court Clerk will schedule a date for the judge to talk to the minor. The Clerk will send notice of the court date to the minor and to anyone who receives a copy of the application. STEP 5: When the judge looks at the application, the judge will ask the minor to explain why he or she needs to be emancipated. Other people (such as relatives or social workers) will also be allowed to express their opinions. STEP 6: The judge will decide if emancipation is in the minor’s best interest.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!