CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I recently found out I was adopted in Alexandria, VA, in

Customer Question

Hello, I recently found out I was adopted in Alexandria, VA, in 1959. I want to petition the Richmond City Circuit Court to open my adoption records and receive my original birth certificate. I am getting the run around about the correct form. The Clerk of Court told me to hire an attorney. Wow! I don't have a $3,500 retainer fee nor can afford $350 or more per hour to pay an attorney. I have been looking at sample petitions but can't find any related to my civil matter. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Roz
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning:

I will help answer your question. I would suggest going to the law library at the court house. They have form books for all kinds of petitions and will have boilerplate forms to seek information from adoption. I would recommend making your request based upon the need to obtain medical history for yourself and any children you may have. I would also recommend contacting your County Bar Association and inquiring if they have any pro bono programs that may provide free or discounted attorney service to help. Lastly, you could also contact University of Virginia Law School in Richmond for there Law Clinic whom provide discounted service to low income folk. I hope this was helpful. Good Luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advice. I have completed the petition with the cover sheet with attachments...physician's statement vouching for disclosure based on my medical conditions as well as Social Security's permanent disability statement. I am still looking for a sample of how to include a sheet/form for the judge to submit his final order as to yea or nay. Thanks again...Roslyn
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

New expert here. Your prior expert "opted out" I am more than happy to assist you.

Just to be clear in what you are looking for. Are you asking for a "Proposed Order" (a 'proposed order' is something that a party or litigant drafts for the judge to sign, hopefully, after reviewing the motion and ruling in their favor) or are you asking for how to prepare an attachment (exhibit) to your motion?