How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 113386
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex hasn't seen s daughter years nor complied with orders

Customer Question

my ex hasn't seen his daughter for 8 years nor complied with orders for counseling and supervised visits but he found out that I left the state for medical treatment and filed for contempt and custody. I didn't know I had to file a petition, I did file a change of mailing address. My daughter is scared of him there is a past of domestic violence and felony convictions but the judge is sympathetic to him. It's a new judge to the case and she won't read the final judgement or anything that came before her assignment
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I lookf orward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you file your own motion for contempt? You should have filed your own motion in response to his motion for him being in contempt of the order. Also, if your daughter is old enough to testify (generally anywhere from 12 and up) you need to allow your daughter to testify in court on the matter and also produce proof of the documented domestic violence to the judge. The judge is not supposed to ignore these issues and if they do, it is basis for an appeal to the court of appeals.

You need to strongly consider using a local attorney because that significantly increases your chances of success in these types of serious matters and you want every advantage that you can have in this type of case with the type of father you describe.

Related Family Law Questions