How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steven K. Your Own Question
Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2338
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Steven K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a US citizan but had a child with a canadian

Customer Question

My son is a US citizan but had a child with a canadian citizan while he was in there country. what are his rights as a father and how does he go about resolving this issue. He has not seen the child and the mother is saying he owes her back pay. He has had no contact until this week and she is threatening him. He does not have the money to go over there and fight in there courts. Can he get a lawyer here that can help him with this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

If the child has always lived in Canada, he can only be assisted by a Canadian lawyer. He would need to file a case in Canada to have his rights established. It is impossible to gain any rights in the courts in the United States. Do you have any other questions?

Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

If you want a response from a second lawyer on this site, I suggest you accept my answer then post another question. We cannot answer the same question if it is only posed one time.