Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

My son is a US citizan but had a child with a canadian

Customer Question

My son is a US citizan but had a child with a canadian citizan while he was in there country. what are his rights as a father and how does he go about resolving this issue. He has not seen the child and the mother is saying he owes her back pay. He has had no contact until this week and she is threatening him. He does not have the money to go over there and fight in there courts. Can he get a lawyer here that can help him with this
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

If the child has always lived in Canada, he can only be assisted by a Canadian lawyer. He would need to file a case in Canada to have his rights established. It is impossible to gain any rights in the courts in the United States. Do you have any other questions?

Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

If you want a response from a second lawyer on this site, I suggest you accept my answer then post another question. We cannot answer the same question if it is only posed one time.