Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

I'm a man left my country in 1979, I had a date with a girl

Customer Question

I'm a Peruvian man left my country in 1979 , I had a date with a girl before I left my country , now 36 years later she contacted me that I have a son with her.she want child support for all of those years.she resides in Peru .i didn't know that this suppose to be son even existed ,I never recognized him or sign any birth certificate.does she have a case here against me? I understand United States does not have a child support enforcement agreement with Peru.im not allowed to go back to my countryin the future ? will authorities arrest me there For this situation.please help me with these questions.thanks Elmo.I am an American citizen .(###) ###-####
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

This woman will not be permitted to pursue you for child support payments in any family court in Pennsylvania/ There is a statute of limitations in PA law which is 23 PA C.S. 2343 which requires that any paternity action and child support action be filed in the PA family court before the 18th birthday of the child in question. If you had a relationship with the mother 36 years ago before you left Peru, then the "child" is now approximately 36 years old and well past the age when any lawsuit can be filed against you to get money from you for child support. Any such case she files will be thrown out by the PA family court. Finally, she has no jurisdiction over your person to file such a case in the courts of any other state in the US -- because you live and work in PA, that is the state where any such claim MUST be filed and because the PA state law is clear that the age of the child at 18 is the last possible time that a lawsuit could have been filed against you for paternity and child support.

-

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what the same laws hold in Peru -- that is beyond the scope of this website -- but my guess is that the law is similar and the mother of the child was required to bring a paternity lawsuit against you in the local Peru family court and sue you for past due child support. My suggestion here is that you contact a local family law attorney in that part of Peru where this woman lives and ask him or her these same questions just to be on the safe side. I believe that she is probably way too late to file a case even in Peru to get money from you in child support but it cannot hurt you to telephone a local lawyer there just to determine if you are responsible for making any payments to this woman or her child for anything given the advanced age of the child involved.

-

I hope that the answer helps you to relax and not worry about this matter. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions related to the above answers. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS, CAN YOU PLEASE PRESS A POSITIVE RATING AT THE TOP OF THIS ANSWER PAGE (ABOVE) SO I WILL BE PAID FOR MY TIME ASSISTING YOU TONIGHT. Pressing a positive rating (four or five stars) above will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

Legalease

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

I notice that you reviewed the answer I gave to you above and you have not asked any follow up questions or pressed a rating to conclude the session. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this issue. If not, can you please press a positive rating at the top of this page in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time?? I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right hand side of the ratings section above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you with this question and answer. Finally, even if you press a positive rating to close out this portion of the question, you can continue to ask any follow up questions related to the original question for as long as you like without additional charges. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

MARY