Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Can a child be granted emancipation due to emotional abuse,

Customer Question

Can a child be granted emancipation due to emotional abuse, and she is 17 being forced to sleep an a bedroom with her 10 half brother. Her step-mom accuses her of all kinds of things and when she tries to talk to either sm or her dad they call her a liar. She would not meet the requirement of self support but would have somewhere to go. Her mother in PA sent her to live with her dad in ID so that is not an option either. She is a friend of my daughter's and I would be willing to take her in but I live in IL. HELP, this child needs it!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about this situation.

I'm sorry to say, the only way a child can be legally emancipated is if she has the ability to support herself. 750 ILCS 30/3-2. She needs to have a job and be able to show the knowledge and maturity to manage her own affairs before she will be emancipated. If you believe that she's being abused, you have the ability to contact the state and ask them to intervene. The other option is to contact a local attorney about seeking to have her parents declared unfit and yourself appointed as her guardian until she turns 18. Here is more information on seeking to become someone's legal guardian.

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=5025#a=questions

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.