Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I have custody of a child whose mother is a drug abuser. I

Customer Question

I have custody of a child whose mother is a drug abuser. I have access to every thing related to him. His mother does have visitation and has not exercised it, she also is supposed to pay child support and has not. My question is can I get a passport for him and take him on a cruise with me. The person taking the information says that as long the mother has rights that I cannot get one. This child has emotional issues and sees a therapist and psychiatrist and is on medications for ADHD, PTSD. can you give me any direction as to whether I can get the passport with the court order I have?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The mother is supposed to sign any passport request, unless her rights have been removed or unless the court orders the passport can be issued without consent. You need to file a motion in court for an order to apply for passport without other parent's consent and the court will issue the order, which is what the passport agency requires to issue the passport. If the passport agency will not issue the passport on the order you have, this is what you need to do to obtain the order needed to get the passport.