Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I would like to get an annulment in the state of California.

Customer Question

I would like to get an annulment in the state of California. If we got married for insurance coverage and not for love would that qualify?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. In CA, the following qualifies for an annulment:

• The couple is related by blood.
  • One spouse was already married before entering into the second marriage (this is known as bigamy).
  • The person requesting the annulment was not eighteen years old at the time of the marriage.
  • Either spouse perpetrated a fraud to obtain the other party's consent to marriage. The fraud has to go to the heart, or essence, of the marriage. A good example would be when one spouse persuades the other to marry because of a secret desire to remain in the United States.
  • One of the spouses has an "incurable physical incapacity." This typically refers to male impotence that prevents the couple from having sexual relations.
  • One or both spouses is of "unsound mind" (meaning, a mental condition that prevents them from understanding and appreciating the nature and duties of marriage—including severe intoxication).
  • One spouse forced the other to get married.

The scenario above may qualify for annulment under FRAUD, since the parties only married for benefits. However, an annulment is public record. If the annulment is filed and this is admitted to, the insurance company may (unlikely, but possible) file suit to recover the money based on the facts. So there is that risk. Also, since it is public record, there will forever be a record of you admitting that you married just for this (either in the pleading, or, a court record, etc, if admitted to). So this may be something that a person does not want the public to know.

Ergo, if possible, it may be best to simply DIVORCE instead.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.