Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have filed the paperwork with the court divorce. My wife

Customer Question

I have filed the paperwork with the court for uncontested divorce. My wife has also signed all of the papers required. We are only waiting on the judge to approve / sign divorce. Part of the settlement agreement is that the proceeds of the house be split 50/50. The closing on the house is this Friday and it does not appear that the judge will be signing before that day. Should the proceeds from the sale of the house be held in a joint account until the divorce is final or is it ok for each of us to take our 50 % and deposit into individual account?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
This is up to the two parties, since the divorce is uncontested.
Some parties leave the money "as is" in a joint account, and simply divide it post-divorce being signed. Some parties prefer to split the money AHEAD of time.
Yet some take the money out but leave it in an escrow account until the divorce is signed.
Ergo, it is UP TO THE PARTIES as to how to divide the money. ANY will be fine provided it splits it 50/50 and both parties are in agreement.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.