Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

How do i get my childs father to pay child support when i

Customer Question

how do i get my childs father to pay child support when i cannot locate him
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
If you cannot locate him, it is impossible to use any of the standard collection methods, like a wage garnishment. In order to collect, you have to have some idea of the person's assets, employment, bank accounts, etc. If you don't know any of those things, I'm not sure what you'd try to collect on. The court can't just make money appear from an unknown source. Also, you have to establish paternity, which you have to locate him to do if you weren't married when the child was born. My suggestion would be to contact your state's attorney general's child support division. They have methods of locating a person that you don't.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.