Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Me and my husband were divorced March 2 of this year he was

Customer Question

Me and my husband were divorced March 2 of this year he was paying 5000 a month he than changed jobs and did a mid year adjustment which stated he could but the adjustment was 1000 and at his pay and bonus and relocation that he received I should be getting 4500 can I take him back to collect that amount or not?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if there was an improper adjustment by your ex, you have a right to challenge the adjustment in court. Before you do so, you need to try to resolve this with your ex in good faith and you do this by sending him a letter explaining what the adjustment should have been based on his pay and bonus received and tell him the letter is your good faith effort to resolve this without court and that if he does not resolve it then you would be forced to take the matter to court and you will seek attorney's fees and costs as part of your damages.
If your ex refuses, then you need to file your motion for order to show cause for contempt and you would say you attempted to resolve this with him in good faith without court and he refused and the court will then review and intervene and if you win the case they will award you damages as well for having to go to court.