FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My grandaughters live with me and my son has full custody

Customer Question

My grandaughters live with me and my son has full custody but is is on drugs. What can I do to get custody from him
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Has your son tried taking them back? How long have their lived with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.5 years, this is his address also but he was working out of state until 5 weeks ago

Thank you. If you want to gain custody of the children, you would need to petition the court and have it ordered. As the moving party, the burden would be on you to show it is in the best interest of the children, to be in your care and custody and not that of the father. In this case, the drug use would be key. You want to gather and present evidence to show the Judge that the father is a drug user and can not properly care for the children and could pose a risk, threat and danger to them. As such, until he cleans up his act and can properly parent, the children should be retained by you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!