How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25358
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step son is 19 1/2 years old. He moved out of my wife and

Customer Question

My step son is 19 1/2 years old. He moved out of my wife and my home the day he turned 18. He has lived from then with the girl he eventually married and now has a child with. They are now getting divorced. My wife wants him to move back in with us. I do not. I have offered to pay to get him set up in a new place with a roommate. He is completely disrespectful towards me and a very destructive influence to my 7 year old son who lives with us.
What legal ground do I have to insist that he not be allowed to live here even though my wife insists he should be able to.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern and it is very nice of you to even to offer to help him and get him set up. It is important to understand that both you and your wife have a shared legal right and interest in the home and she has just as much say as you do, when it comes to who can reside there. In this case, it is going to have to be something that it worked out between the two of you, since you can not just go to court force him out or prevent him from entering by calling the police, if she allows it. While I understand your view point and it makes sense to have him live elsewhere, it is still her son so she has a different take on the issue and likely wants to help him and watch over him. As such, it would be hard to remove him when she says Yes and you say No and situations like this, often make things hard on the marriage. Maybe him you could speak with him and influence him or even help him out a little more, he will be more inclined to agree to live on his own.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions