David L
David L, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney in multiple jurisdictions
11661736

Can guardianship be transferred from another state? Ohio

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  David L replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for asking your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Feel free to post follow up questions or comments at any time, is anything is unclear.

Every state has particular guardianship rules and laws. Most times, if a guardianship is going to be moved, you would open a proceeding in the local county where you intend to move. This is called an "ancillary" proceeding. Each state and county will have particular rules - and you can research those rules before you move, but it generally involved opening a local case, and then transferring the guardianship orders from the previous state and having the local court issue a new order.