Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

My bf t me in front of my son then pushed m he is 7. Tore s

Customer Question

My bf hit me in front of my son then pushed him he is 7. Tore his own shirt and filed a report against me! I didn't want my son to have to deal with the police I know this involves cps ... The police called me only twice left 30 second messages not saying urgent or anything . The police came to my work and arrested me before I could even talk to them . I had to bail out of jail in so scared, cps is calling me at work now and my son is at his dad's this week. I need help fast please advise.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do not live together . Should I take my son to the police station and file report against ex? I have emails from before saying i hope you die please die..... And texts from that night saying crazy things like I'm going to kill Arabs etc. he has bad ptsd from 6 deployments
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter(25) filed a fake cps report on me last year the worker said i don't want to be back here etc I'm really worried about cps and I don't trust the police now with how they treated me I can't believe they could do that
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Generally, the last place in the world that a person should go once he is already charged with a crime is to the police. That's because you are a defendant and you should never talk to the other side when your case is pending. Anything you say, even what you think is helpful to your case, can be used against you. Also, since the state believes your boyfriend and has already charged you, they are unlikely to believe your version of the same incident, even with your evidence and even if they talked to your son. Sons have been known to lie for their parents.
You need a local lawyer to help you fight your case and also to guide you in any dealings you will have with CPS. Getting one should be your first priority. Once you get him or her, let your lawyer see the texts and threats your boyfriend made and let your lawyer talk to your son. Your lawyer can convey information about that to the prosecutor and the DA would be obligated to look into that. Or, if your lawyer feels you should go to the police, he can go with you so that your rights and your son's rights are protected.