Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am in Connecticut. I am being named in a law suit medical

Customer Question

I am in Connecticut. I am being named in a law suit for unpaid medical bills incurred by my wife. Am I legally obligated to pay?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: No. You are not liable for your wife's medical bills if you did not sign any papers with the medical providers to be the responsible party for her bills. Also, Connecticut is not a community property state. So, expenses of one spouse are not considered expenses for both spouses—the expenses are not considered community expenses.