Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Say I have a 16 year old son and he no longer wishes to live

Customer Question

Say I have a 16 year old son and he no longer wishes to live under my roof and said child has a friend, who is almost 19 years old. And say that said for mentioned child and friend want to move out of state ,say to Arizona. The for mentioned 19 year old, asks me if he was to take full responsibility for the said 16 year old son, would I be willing to give him Guardianship of said 16 year old son. And if I were to proceceed with the possibility of allowing this 19 year old to take Guardianship of my son, do I have to involve the court system, or hire a lawyer, or file any kind of legal paperwork in order for the process to go forward. And is it legal for a 19 year old to take legal Guardianship of said 16 year old?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The only way to be appoint as a legal guardian is via a court order. Here's a good link you can read from the CA Court system's online database: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-guardianship.htm

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

So, you would have to involve the courts in order to get this done......which leads up to your second question about a 19 year old being given legal guardianship, and as you would imagine, the court isn't likely to approve/allow this.