KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
8989662

My partner got killed on the job. We contacted a lawyer that

Customer Question

my partner got killed on the job. We contacted a lawyer that told us we could get a domestic partnership without my partner losing her pension.This was 9?24?2007. Now e receive a letter in the mall stating as the surviving spouse registered domestic partner of her husband. you are entitled to continue receiving these benefits for life or until she remarries or enters into a new registered domesic partnership. Is this a new law that will affect her pension?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

This is very typical that you could collect only until remarriage or domestic partnership. The only way to see if this is correct is to get a copy of the pension terms and look to see if it is in there. That will govern the legal status going forward.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Take care,
Kim

Just letting you know i am online right now if you have any follow up questions about my answer.

If not, please be sure to close out the question with positive feedback, otherwise the system may keep your money and I won't get credit for my work with you.

Take care,

Kim