Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I pay court ordered child support at $900 a month and health

Customer Question

I pay court ordered child support at $900 a month and health care, eye care, and vision. I have a two week visitation during the summer which I did take advantage of.......Do I still pay child support to the custodial parent even tho I had her almost half the month in July?
If I paid the support in error, which I did, can I deduct that amount from August child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Remember the child support is for the basics of shelter, food and clothing. And generally, the laws are the obligation of a parent ordered to pay support shall abate, in whole or in part, during a time period longer than 30 consecutive days the child is not with the custodial parent.

And that is usually written into the child support order as a "credit" to the paying parent. I suggest since the visit was not more than 30 consecutive days, that you have not over paid - unless there is a Credit written in the order to that effect. Though something like that is usually done in the calculations of the support - offering credit to the non custodial parent. And such a calculation is done when there is Shared or Joint Physical custody with both parents.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.

Thank you