Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

If my income has since my divorce was finalized, is my

Customer Question

If my income has since my divorce was finalized, is my ex-spouse now entitled to higher alimony payments?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
A spouse receiving alimony is allowed to request a modification if the income of the spouse paying increases substantially. Usually, a substantial increase is about 20% of more.
Alimony is intended to keep a former spouse in the standard of living enjoyed during the marriage. If she is receiving an amount adequate to do that, you can argue that it is not in the interests of justice to increase her payments. Also note that if she has increased her income since the divorce, you can use that as a reason to deny the request. And it's not automatic. She'd have to request the modification.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.