P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My fiancé bought a house when we were dating. I'm

Customer Question

my fiancé bought a house when we were dating. I'm remodeling the house. Acting as the general contractor. I'm not charging her a dime for any of my work. I.e. ordering materials, actual work, setting up sub contractors, meeting with subs, etc. She's
buying the materials. We are getting married in 2 weeks and her family is throwing us a prenup. In that prenup, it says that I have no rights to any property that she currently owns or any property she invests in with her own money. What should I do? Stop
my work right now and have her pay the price for a general contractor? Or work out a payment for myself? I ask because house flipping is what she wants to do with her older brother and younger sister. With me being the contractor free of charge. Expecting
to share in the cash return of the property but this prenup says no sharing funds, her family says no sharing funds, and their lawyers say no sharing funds.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.
A prenuptial agreement is simply a contract...no more, no less.
And like any contract the terms are negotiable.
So consider negotiating the terms of this prenuptial agreement to allow you equity in the home.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.