FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My son is 17yrs old and has been accused of molesting s 11yr

Customer Question

my son is 17yrs old and has been accused of molesting his 11yr old half sister while at his fathers house. charges have been filed and he is being charged as and adult. since this happened my son has moved back in with me. i just learned that his dad has not been taking him to the doctor for his mental health needs. what should i do about this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and I am sorry to hear about what happened and what you are going through. This is an important issue and something that certainly needs to be known and addressed by your sons attorney. I say this because if his failure to see his doctor and get treated resulted or was a cause of the molestation, there could be a defense or mitigating factor, to raise. Of course, he needs to get back into treatment but it needs to be known by his attorney that he was under the care of a mental health doctor, the father was supposed to be taking him to the doctor for treatment and that he failed to do so. His doctor may need to testify on his behalf at trial as well, to show that the lack of treatment and care, resulted in the actions of your son.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!