Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My fiance and I are breaking up but we have many businesses

Customer Question

My fiance and I are breaking up but we have many businesses and insurance claims and lawsuits outstanding that we both were going to profit from. We do not trust each other so she thinks getting married will allow a 50/50 split of both expenses and profits. I do not want to marry but the alternative is leaving and filing bankruptcy and not seeing the profits of current business nor future. What type of attorney do I need to get some other options so that we can make sure we both get the benefits.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. This would be a family law attorney matter. Even if the two parties were not married, common law marriage elements may control the situation, and in general, family law attorneys are well-versed in splitting assets and who is to get what in formal or informal relationships and marriages.
May I recommend the TX Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.