Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My girlfriend got pregnant - had the baby - after she had

Customer Question

my girlfriend got pregnant - had the baby - after she had the baby we both took care of
the baby then after a year she enrolled in the service and turned over the boy (whom is
30 years old now) to her mother after living with her 2 years. I bought a lot of the essentials early on and would take
to the grandmothers house. Later I went on to marry another woman and we had a daughter. My daughter is 21 and has her bachelor's and working on her masters.
I mention this because I am not a deadbeat.
I filed for custody because when she left (she really didn't want the responsibility) I wanted to care for him. Instead of letting me fight for custody she took him to Hawaii
3-4 years.
When she returned (approx. 3-4 years) she got an apartment and I helped furnish his
room but he did not live there since still living with his grandmother. The court granted her custody and ordered me to pay child support which I did for a while.
He lived with his grandmother before she left and after she returned.
She dropped the case in 08 and I assumed that was it. The interest has kept accumulating since we thought the case was dropped. I received a letter from the state
of Va stating the case was dropped.
Now my dillema is that now she is 4 times divorced and needs money so she re-opened
the case in Alabama and attached to my va driver's license so I cannot drive on even
a restricked license. I can't afford not to work and as a result I lost my job because
it entails driving a utility work vehicle.
I was told by an attorney at the court house that she did not raise after 3-4 years old
and why is it her suing me since it was his grandmother that raised him.
Please help with your expert advise and how can I get someone to represent me since
I don't have a lot of funds.
Thank you for your time and help!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Do you have evidence that the grandmother raised the child, and not you? Why is she suing in Alabama, is that where they currently reside?