Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

Dimitry, I just need to know what i must do to give her the

Customer Question

Hi Dimitry, I just need to know what i must do to give her the authority to take care of the girls as if they were hers. My husband and I got guardianship in 2008 which is the last time their mother went to prizon.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My only concern is the other parent. What you can do is contact your local courts where you reside (which is Kansas I believe), speak with the local clerk, and obtain a packet to file a 'petition for temporary guardianship'. Explain the situation in your filing, point out that the other party is 'fit' to care for the children, and set a time period of one year. Fill out the forms, file them, and if the other father did not lose his rights, be aware that you'd need to serve him with a copy of your petition and the mother as well because they both can challenge the filing, appear in court, and try to seek custody for themselves. Also be aware that you and the new guardian will need to appear in court as the judge would need to question that person and ensure fitness. For best success point out your fitness, the fitness of the new guardian, and the unfitness of the other parents, and stress that this change would be 'in the best interest' of the children, since that is the standard under which the courts formally try to make decisions as far as custody.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.