Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I have a question regarding the marriage license/certificate

Customer Question

Hi - I have a question regarding the marriage license/certificate - if I am changing my name, on the marriage certificate (not license) - will it still contain my original last name?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Yes, it will. It has to, because the certificate is the legal document you need to change your name with Social Security, on your driver's license, and things like that. The certificate will list former and new last name so there's a record.
Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answer. But if after the wedding for whatever reason I decide not to change my name (on social security, drivers license) it does not matter that I had the new last name on the marriage certificate right? Because my original last name is ***** ***** it and the marriage certificate will still be recognised.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
No, it doesn't matter. The marriage is still valid. The marriage certificate gives you the ability to go ahead and change your name on everything, but sometimes people wind up not doing it, and that's OK.