RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I am on the child abuse registry in iowa. Ive been on their

Customer Question

Hello. I am on the child abuse registry in iowa. Ive been on their 3 yrs for illigal substance found in my baby umbilical cord. I had a time where i did pot then i found out i was 3 months pregnant and immediately stopped. Well when my child was born they said they found a small amount of thc from searching back 6 months. My question is can and do i have a good chance of getting this expunged. This has ruined my life. Also ive pass drug tests for work since then and im 6 months pregnant and can guarantee that no drugs are in me or will be in my baby umbilical cord. I think that shows im not a danger to my children. Thanks
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Discussion by Email. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Every state has different laws when it comes to the expungement or sealing of records, which as you may know, has to be done in the state where you were convicted. Iowa's laws, unfortunately, are quite unforgiving in this area.

Iowa allows an expungement only for certain alcohol related offenses (such as public drunkenness) two years following the conviction, where a person's record is otherwise clear. The only other option for expunging your criminal record in Iowa is to obtain what is called “deferred judgment” at the time of your conviction. For most misdemeanor crimes and some felonies, the court can defer judgment and place a defendant on probation rather than imposing a sentence. If the defendant successfully completes probation, the defendant is discharged and no conviction is entered. The defendant may then petition to have the related record expunged -- that is, made inaccessible to the general public. (Iowa Code §§ 907.3 and 907.9.). It's unclear from your facts whether you received a deferred judgment or not. If you're not sure. you can contact the Clerk of Court in the county where you were charged and inquire.

The only other option then, would be to seek a pardon from the governor of Iowa. While this would not seal or expunge your record, it would allow you to tell employers and others that you received the pardon and a full restoration of your rights. I have attached a copy of the application to the link.

Should you need further information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist. Otherwise, a positive rating or accept for my time would be greatly appreciated as this is the only way experts on the site are compensated for their time, even though you may have placed a deposit. Thank you.