S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable family law attorney.
70026054

I have a court hearing and need to subpoena some neighbors

Customer Question

I have a court hearing and need to subpoena some neighbors who saw my wife cheating and mistreating the children when I am at work. Who can serve the subpoenas and how long before the court hearing do they have to be served
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the opportunity to assist you. MI Rule of Civil Procedure 2.103 tells us that any legally competent adult can serve a subpoena. If the person is not a professional process server or sheriff's deputy, they'll have to file an affidavit regarding service.

As for the time frame, I cannot find a rule that says a subpoena must be served within X days before the hearing. The general rule is no less than 72 hours before the hearing. Serve earlier than later.

It appears you're offline now. Please let me know if you need further assistance. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.
If you're satisfied with my response(s) above, I hope you'll rate my response positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.
Best wishes,
Shuband
Hello again,
I'm writing to follow up on your question. I see you recently viewed my answer, but you didn't issue a rating. If you need clarification about my answer, please ask. Otherwise, please let me know what else I can do, if anything, to earn a positive rating from you.
Thanks again for using our service!
Shuband