Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a 17 year old girl staying with me. She is

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old girl staying with me. She is participating in a deversion program and both her parents have a greed to let her stay with my family. But when I went to register her into school at Cedaredge High School I was told that I could not register
her because I was not her legal gaurdian. I went back to the deversion officer and they contacted the father and he has told us we will not register her. so I went to Social Services and they told me that she is 17 and they cant make her go. but she wants
to go to school. is there any way I can get her registered to go to school?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response:Unfortunately, you need a formal Guardianship Order from the Court in order to register her in your District. With the parents’ cooperation, you can go to Court and apply for Emergency Temporary Guardianship so that you can take that Order to the school district to enroll in the school. You can obtain Guardianship forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's Office or at the Courts' website:
https://www.courts.state.co.us/Self_Help/minorguardianship/