Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If I had a child with a man while I lived in Tennessee after

Customer Question

If I had a child with a man while I lived in Tennessee after 3 years of dating not living together.
I moved to North Carolina while he was incarcerated.
I filed to have him removed from parental rights as he has never supported me or the baby.
should I continue with filing paper work in Tennessee or can I have it moved to North Carolina?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney licensed in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

IF you filed in Tennessee, you could continue there instead of trying to transfer the case since the TN court had jurisdiction at the time you filed the matter. However, if it would be more convenient for you to move the case to your current state and county, you could ask the TN court to transfer the case. As long as your son has lived in the NC county for at least 6 months, he should be considered a resident there and the proceedings should be transferrable from TN to NC.

So, it really boils down to whether you'd prefer to continue in TN or to transfer the matter to NC......as you should be able to do either.