Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

In Mississippi, does the law still state that a child may

Customer Question

in Mississippi, does the law still state that a child may decide who they live with at the age of 13, or was the law changed.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

A child 12 years or older can select which parent he or she wants to live with so long as the following criteria are met:

• each parent is fit to have custody of the child
  • each parent can adequately provide for the child’s care and maintenance, and
  • it’s in the child’s best interest to select the parent he or she prefers.

A court can still overrule the child's preference but will typically defer to the child's preference if these conditions are met.

Here is a link which provides additional information for your reference:

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/a-childs-preference-mississippi-custody-proceedings.html

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!