Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

Person acquired medical records without permission and swore

Customer Question

Person acquired medical records without permission and swore on the stand under oath he had med. Records and used these records a d his attorney was aware and said nothing. Med. Records on lady involved in same case acquired illegally. This surely is a. Violation of HIPAA.how and who would be willing to prosecute and where do I start.the lady lost her child over this
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

HIPPA only applies to health care professionals like insurance companies and doctors. A person like this using the records in court is not liable for their use under HIPPA. I'm sorry.

If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.

Michael