How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16344
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know if I can get help from social worker child

Customer Question

I need to know if I can get help from social worker for my child support case. I don't have a place to stay with my kids right now live with a family member and they won us to move but I have filed for child support and I have applied for Lincoln village apartment and it's also taken forever who do I talk to please
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


I am located in and practice in Massachusetts. Generally speaking, social workers do not assist with pursuing child support cases. In order to do that, you need to contact the Massachusetts Dept of Revenue Child Support Enforcement Division and they will bring a criminal case against the father of the children which cannot be ignored. Unfortunately, however, these things do take several months to get moving through the courts, but the MA DORCSE will assign a specific worker to your case and if efforts in pursuing the father are not successful then you will be eligible for MA public welfare benefits (if it has been some time since you have received child support, then you should be eligible for welfare benefits now if you have no reall income to speak of). Here is a link to the website for the MA DOR CSE division and you should be able to get a case started through the website or by contacting them directly at the contact information provided therein -


Housing is a different situation altogether and that can also take time (I had a friend and her two children living with me for 9 months before she was able to get low income housing in Massachusetts-- it is not easy by any means). What you need to do is contact the Housing Authority for every city and town that you are interested in living in -- each town has a certain amount of low income housing and they administer it at the town or city level on a first come / first serve basis with those people who have the greatest need coming first. If you are homeless, then that should move you up the list somewhat. You do not say where you live but you mention Lincoln -- the website for the Lincoln Housing Authority is here


If you perform an internet search you can find the websites and contact information for other area towns and cities where you are living and unfortunately, you have to apply to each one individually in order to get on as many lists as possible for such housing (my friend was on 8 different lists at one point). It can be a lot of leg work but if you are willing to complete their applications and follow up with them every couple of weeks to pester them, generally they can find you something in a few months time.


I wish I could give you a quick and easy way to make this happen, but it can take some time. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating before leaving the website so I will at least receive credit for my time assisting you today (I receive no credit unless you press a positive rating). THANK YOU VERY MUCH



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The apartment call me and I have provided them with everything l told them about my situation everything is done except to call me and give me the apartment so my question is can anyone help me to with a letter for them to know that my case is with child support
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello again --
This is not the type of representation that we provide here -- this is just a question and answer service where we give you direction in legal matters but we do no represent customers offline. That is why we do the research and refer you to the linked websites as I did in the answer above.
In Massachusetts, you can contact legal aid to see if they will assist you with something like this but generally speaking these types of things are handled personally or with the help of friends and family. Perhaps someone at the local housing authority might also be willing to help you.

Related Family Law Questions