Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a daughter that's 20. Her dad hasn't paid child

Customer Question

I have a daughter that's 20. Her dad hasn't paid child support in years. I'm in Oklahoma. The original court order was issued in OK county. To my knowledge, there's no statue of limitations for child support. The judge is a total bitch. Anyway, I live in Tulsa county now but my ex lives in OK county. If I took him to court again, which county would the case be heard in?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: OK County where he still lives. Child support terminates at age 18. However, if the child is attending high school until the child graduates from high school or reaches age 20, whichever one comes first. Nonetheless, you can still go after the father for child support arrearage. See Oklahoma Statutes Title 43 Section 112 subsections E, F, and G.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=71829
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I took him to court when she was 19 and the judge still said he owed me. So either you or the judge is wrong. You're telling me that there is a statute of limitations in Oklahoma?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was also told I could accumulate interest. However, he was doing 5 days a week in the county jail so I let it go until he did his time. Can't get blood out of a turnip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm. Odd I was awarded money at that time even though I didn't get a dime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://ask-a-lawyer.freeadvice.com/law-questions/what-is-the-statue-of-lim-35798.htmWhat does this mean?
You misread my previous response to you.
What I said in other words was that Child Support terminates at the age of 18. However, it can be extended to age 20 if the child is in high school. So, the Judge is not wrong since the child Support award at age 19 is within the 20-year period. I am not wrong either because I specifically cited relevant Oklahoma Statutes to you and provided you a link to a specific section and subsections. I also stated that you can go after him for arrearages--the amount past due. Here is my response in its entirety: