RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My fiancé has terminal cancer. He is on ssdi and now

Customer Question

My fiancé has terminal cancer. He is on ssdi and now obtained Medicaid. If I marry him will he loose his Medicaid. We live in Florida.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you. I'm sorry to hear about your fiance. What exactly is your legal question, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the question I typed
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

My apologies, I misread what was typed and didn't see a question. It is possible that he will lose his eligibility, yes.

As you likely know, an individual is eligible for Medicaid only if their income and assets are both very low. If they get married, Medicaid is permitted to consider the "household" income, not just his personal income, and that would include the spouse's income. If your income puts your fiance over the income limit for a couple, it could mean he'd lose his Medicaid coverage.