Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

About two week ago, a friend of mine had her two children

Customer Question

About two week ago, a friend of mine had her two children (ages 3 and 6) taken away from her because of a complaint that she was using drugs. She has tested negative for drug use. They tell her that she has to go to court. She does not have access to her cousler a lawyer or her children. What can she do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

When is her court date? Can she afford an attorney?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She does not know her court date. Her funds are limited.

The first and most critical thing she needs to do is call the court or CPS and find out when her first court date is. She cannot, under any circumstance, miss that court appearance. At that hearing, she may ask the judge to appoint her a lawyer if she cannot afford one. Much like in a criminal case, a person who's children have been removed by the state has a right to a lawyer, even if they cannot afford one. At that point, she can begin the process of finding out what evidence the state is using to keep her children, and hopefully negotiate a plan to get them back. Of course, that all depends on what the state says they have against her and their reasons for removal.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.