LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I am right now paying $955 a month in child support to my

Customer Question

I am right now paying $955 a month in child support to my biological child's mother. I am in the process of adopting my step child. My question is if I adopt my step child, will this lower my child support payment to my biological child's mother?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
The addition of dependents by you, whether it be a spouse, or child, has no effect on the amount of child support that you pay for your child from another relationship.
Only of you were to later come under a support order for your step-child who you are adopting---for example because of a divorce with your step-child's parent---would your child support be able to be lowered for your earlier child.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.
Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,
Doug